A 35-year-old man from India went to the emergency room after experiencing severe abdominal pains, so the doctors suspected he was suffering from food poisoning. However, soon after performing an endoscopy, they discovered the man had 100 nails and 263 coins in his stomach.
The doctors thought the man had food poisoning
Maksud Khan came to the Sanjay Gandhi Hospital in Satna, Madhya Pradesh, complaining of abdominal pains, so the doctors decided to perform an endoscopy on him and find out what was causing the pain. They were quickly amazed to discover that food poisoning wasn’t actually the cause. Inside the man’s stomach, they found nails, coins, blades, pieces of glass, chain, and stones.
Soon afterwards, the doctors decided to start a surgery, as the man’s condition could have turned worse if they didn’t operate immediately. This is how they removed 7 kg of foreign objects which had accumulated over time in the man’s stomach.
They found 7 kg of coins, nails, and other metals in the man’s stomach
This was the first time when researchers had seen something like this. The patient appeared to have been suffering from a mental health condition which made him ingest strange objects. None of his relatives or friends were aware of what the man was doing, so nobody was expecting to find coins and nails inside his stomach.
The doctors, together with Khan’s family members, investigated the situation. The man, who was driving a three-wheeler for a living, seems to have been struggling with depression. His relatives suspect that he was swallowing the coins he received from his customers and, for three months, he kept complaining of severe abdominal pains.
Surprisingly, only now had all the nails and metal objects started causing damage. They had pierced the stomach and caused internal bleeding, but the doctors intervened just in time to prevent the case from getting worse. Now, the man’s condition is stable, and he swore he won’t keep swallowing strange objects.
Image Source: PxHere