As people’s insecurities seem to not come to an end pretty soon, plastic surgery procedures are still in high demand in the United States. A recent report compiled by plastic surgeons reveals that most Americans chose to go under the knife for a prettier face or less fat in various parts of their bodies. On Wednesday, March 1st, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons released its annual plastic surgery statistics report, reveling the most popular procedures performed last year in the U.S. Even though the statistics mirror last year’s findings, it appears certain trends are rising to popularity.
Most Sought After Surgical Procedures
In 2016, experts say approximately 1.8 million major plastic surgery procedures were performed in the U.S. Also, 15.5 million Americans chose to make only minor improvements to their appearance last year.
The most popular procedures of 2016 were:
- Breast augmentation, performed on 290,467 patients who wished to alter the shape or volume of their breasts.
- Liposuction was 235,237 Americans’ preferred cosmetic procedure.
- Rhinoplasty, intended to modify the shape of the nose, was demanded by 223,018 Americans.
- Eyelid surgery, for lifting saggy eyelids, was performed on 209,020 people.
- Facelifts, intended to rectify sagging, wrinkled patches on the neck and face, and drooping were performed 131,106 times nationwide.
Minimally Invasive Plastic Surgery Procedures
While some people chose to drastically change their appearance, there were some who only resorted to fillers, peels, or hair removal. Hence, most popular minimally invasive plastic surgery procedures in 2016 were:
- Botox, a drug that is injected into the face of the patient to smooth facial wrinkles, demanded by 7 million Americans.
- Soft-tissue fillers, similar to Botox, injected into the lips or face for fuller appearance, performed on 2.6 million patients.
- Chemical peels, which refers to the application and then removal of a chemical substance from the skin for a younger appearance, sought by 1.36 million individuals.
- Laser hair removal, which refers to permanently removing unwanted hair from various areas of the body, performed 1.1 million times.
- Microdermabrasions, performed 775,000 times with a special instrument that sands the patient’s skin to improve complexion.
Health experts say that the list of most wanted plastic surgery procedures is the same as it was two years ago. However, researchers included, for the first time, records of labiaplasties in their report, a procedure that alters the women’s genitalia. It was this cosmetic procedure that grew extremely
Image Source: Vimeo