Doctors warn that becoming an internet sensation is not worth it, so just don’t do the Duct Tape Challenge that you have likely seen others on YouTube or Facebook try out. The internet is a double edged sword that should be wielded with care. It can become an addiction and a way to get attention through unfortunate ways. This includes challenges that go viral.
While most of them are relatively harmless, we have seen some examples that are not exactly doctor approved. The Ice Bucket Challenge, for example, was one of the good ones. It proved itself successful, went viral, raised awareness for a good cause, and one bucket of ice cold water dumped on yourself during the summer isn’t going to do harm. It will be freezing and certainly a strong wake-up, but not harmful. Unless you drop the actual bucket on your head.
Every internet challenge has its version of ‘gone wrong’. But some are just waiting for accidents. The “Cinnamon Challenge” implied participants to try and eat one full spoon of cinnamon powder in less than one minute. Inevitably, most instantly choked and expelled huge amounts of powder all around. That was what gained YouTube views. However, doctors warned that it could cause choking, respiratory problems, and difficulty breathing.
Another challenge that quickly went viral was the “Salt and Ice” challenge that implied participants putting salt on one part of their body and then setting down an ice cube on top. The chemical reactions created a painful sensation on the skin, thus it was designed to become a “pain endurance” challenge. However, the reaction actually caused frostbite-like injuries, irritation, and serious burns. There are many other examples to offer, such as the Choking Challenge, but the latest is the Duct Tape Challenge.
In essence, the Duct Tape Challenge required two friends. One of them is strapped to a chair by the other, who has several minutes to wrap the sticky tape around them. Then, the one trapped has 5 minutes to escape. If this challenge is search on YouTube, the platform will show 239,000 results, but now the engine is more dominated by the most unfortunate case.
Duct Tape Challenge Gone wrong
A 14 year old boy named Skylar Fish attempted the Duct Tape Challenge with his friends. Skylar was strapped against a pole, but in his attempts to escape his entrapment fell head first against a window frame. The impact crushed his eye socket and caused a brain aneurysm. The boy needed 48 staples in his head and may never recover vision in his eye again. It’s an unfortunate case that was caused by an accident, but the fact that it happened certainly proves it can.
Skylar’s mother now has $5,000 worth of medical bills to pay and is discouraging anyone from attempting the challenge, along with cautioning their parents.
Dr. Mark Newton, the Medical Director for Emergency Services at Doctor’s Hospital warns anyone again making an attempt. It can potentially be harmful. Duct tape is extremely strong. It can yank off hair and, with hair, there’s skin. It’s not in the slightest pleasant and the potential risks are simply not worth it.
Most of the “gone wrong” challenges are not posted on YouTube, so teenagers do not often get to see them. But what happens when someone gets serious burns after the Salt and Ice Challenge or doesn’t wake up after doing the Choking Challenge, which actually implies being choked until passing out. These are serious risks and should not be taken as a joke simply because they might gain more views.
Dr. Newton advises parents to sit down their children and explain the risks of performing challenges found on the internet. They should not succumb to “peer pressure” or risk harming themselves for internet entertainment. The viewers might have a laugh, but they won’t be the ones with serious injuries who end up in the hospital.
Image source: twitter.com