A recent study inspecting the potential advantages of aspirin for heart attack patients has uncovered that most people do themselves more harm than good by taking the medication – and that the dangers exceed the benefit for some patients with cardiovascular conditions.
Utilizing aspirin to treat heart attack is not required by around 10% of those it is recommended for, and it gets to be counter-beneficial for these fraction of people as against the remaining 90% who could benefit from the medication.
“Aspirin is not a drug that comes without dangers,” said lead analyst Dr. Riva Hira, a cardiologist with Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX.
For heart attack patients that take aspirin unnecessarily, they could wind up encountering gastrointestinal bleeding and hemorrhagic stroke as a potential cause for the medication, and these symptoms can be deadlier than thought.
Dr. Francisco Lopez-Jiminez of the Mayo Clinic expressed that “The most vital message is to perceive that there are individuals (who take) aspirin thinking that they are shielding themselves from having heart attacks when they are really presenting themselves to the (bleeding) dangers of taking aspirin and likely having no advantage whatsoever.”
Furthermore a cardiologist, Ravi Dave clarifies that “You can have danger of bleeding in your stomach. You can even have a stroke that can result in bleeding inside your brain.”
Around 68,000 patients were included in the study, and the specialists urged specialists to utilize the calculator tool recommended by the American Heart Association for deciding the suitability of any specific patient for aspirin use. A portion of the issues that could be determined with the utilization of this standard calculator are the age, race, sex, HDL cholesterol, total cholesterol, diabetes status, blood pressure-lowering medications in use, and smoking status of each patient before aspirin is prescribed for them .
Dr. Hira exhorted that “Your specialist needs to evaluate not just your risk of cardiovascular disease, but also your risk of bleeding.”
The study uncovered that 17% of women take aspirin when they truly should not to, as contrasted with 5% of men who likewise do. Though, specialists inform that the convenience concerning popping a pill ought not to trump the need to appropriately look after your own health.