A 1-year-old kid in Fort Plain, New York, has died after police said he ingested liquid nicotine. Police officials are calling it a ‘tragic accident’.
Police were called to a home Tuesday evening, where the kid was found inert. He died after 2 hours of swallowing the liquid nicotine.
Police said they don’t anticipate any charges to be filed, yet called it a continuing investigation.
Liquid nicotine is lawful in New York, and is utilized in e-cigarettes – yet is considered profoundly poisonous.
At present, liquid nicotine containers are not obligatory to be childproof.
One store close by Fort Plain that sells liquid nicotine said childproofing is an essential provision.
“Vapor Geekz has a childproof cap and like I said, we need to make sure the safety as best we can to our public, and I know a grown-up should utilize this, however, stuff happens,” said Molly Brick with Vapor Geekz.
New York legislators are pushing for tighter regulations on fluid nicotine, and a bill tending to the issue of security is anticipated to soon become law.
The New York State Assembly and Senate have officially passed a bill obliging child-resistant packaging on liquid nicotine.
The senator is anticipated to sign it by the end of this month.